Canvas allows teachers to record video from a web cam directly into course pages, discussion posts or even as assignment feedback.
Record Video in a Page, Discussion, or Announcement, or Feedback
Canvas provides designers and instructors with the ability to upload or record audio or video nearly anywhere in a course, from an Announcement to Assignment feedback.
A webcam is needs to record a video message, and a microphone is required to record audio.
- This Windows has who tabs on the left hand side: Upload and Webcam.
- To record a video message, Click on the Webcam tab.
- Choose Video from two tabs across the top.
- Choose the appropriate Webcam from the Select a Webcam dropdown.
- Click on Record when ready to record and Stop when finished.
- Click on Next and add Tag and Title information.
Record Computer Desktop Activity
It occurred to me that I can easily record my desktop activity instead of my web cam using a similar set-up to what I've used to live-stream conference presentations. A 3rd-party desktop app allows you to delineate video sources in place of the web cam, including the user's desktop. While I still use the commercial software WebcamMax, this time I tested a free software called ManyCam, which works on Windows or Mac. After installing ManyCam, it's a piece of cake:
- Start ManyCam, and in the Sources tab choose Desktop and click Close. <a href="http://jaredstein.org/files/2011/01/2011-01-19_1045.png"><img src="http://jaredstein.org/files/2011/01/2011-01-19_1045.png" alt="" class="alignnone size-full wp-image-1631" /></a>
- In your Canvas course, choose to Record/Upload Media (Pages, Announcements, Discussions, etc.), or Add Media Comment (Assignment feedback).
- Choose Webcam from the right, then Allow Kaltura to access your devices. Change your webcam source to ManyCam Video Source. <a href="http://jaredstein.org/files/2011/01/2011-01-19_1048.png"><img src="http://jaredstein.org/files/2011/01/2011-01-19_1048.png" alt="" class="alignnone size-full wp-image-1632" /></a>
- Click Record, minimize your window to show your desktop, and you're off and running! Save your recording in the Canvas window when done.